We recommend that you have a look on the East Riding SEND Local Offer Website using the link as this provides details of all schools in the area.

Website: (external council website)

Mainstream schools

Every child with special educational needs should have SEN support.

This information is about the support that mainstream schools should or must provide for children with special educational needs (SEN).

The SEND Code of Practice (section 6.1) says:

All children and young people are entitled to an education that enables them to make progress so that they:

  • achieve their best
  • become confident individuals living fulfilling lives, and
  • make a successful transition into adulthood, whether into employment, further or higher education or training.

The duties on schools to make SEN provision

The SEND Code of Practice (section 6.2) says mainstream schools must:

  • use their best endeavours to make sure that a child with SEN gets the support they need - this means doing everything they can to meet children and young people's SEN
  • ensure that children and young people with SEN engage in the activities of the school alongside pupils who do not have SEN
  • designate a teacher to be responsible for co-ordinating SEN provision - the SEN co-ordinator, or SENCO.
  • inform parents when they are making special educational provision for a child
  • publish an SEN information report and their arrangements for the admission of disabled children, the steps being taken to prevent disabled children from being treated less favourably than others, the facilities provided to enable access to the school for disabled children and their accessibility plan showing how they plan to improve access progressively over time.

East Riding Mainstream schools with Enhanced Resource Provisions (ERPs)

The East Riding Local Authority has contracts with some mainstream Primary and Secondary schools that enable these schools to provide enhanced education resources for children with special educational needs. Often the enhanced provisions have an additional purpose-built section of the school that provides a specialist enhanced learning environment for children with EHCPs.

East Riding Alternative Education Provision:

The East Riding has a school which offers specialist support for students with social, emotional, and mental health needs for secondary aged pupils (11-16 years old). They offer smaller class sizes, reduced student to staff ratios and bespoke social and emotional wellbeing programs.

The Hub School

Website: (external website)

Hub School offers short-term provision for Years 7-9 which are typically one term of attendance for students both with and without an EHCP.

They offer full-time permanent education for Years 7-11 with EHCPs.

They offer full-time commissioned placements for students with an EHCP for Years 10 and 11.

The Hub can be attended without an EHCP as a commissioned placement through a school.

The Hub School can also offer commissioned placements across a range of off-site provisions.

East Riding Special Schools:

Special schools are specifically developed to meet the special educational needs and disabilities of children and young people. They have smaller class sizes, specialist facilities and equipment, and staff receive additional raining around SEND. The East Riding Local Authority has 3 special schools. All 3 schools take children and young people from age 2 – 19 years old.

Kings Mill School, Driffield

Website: (external website)

Kings Mill School is a day school with short break residential provision for 8 to 19-year-olds. Kings Mill supports pupils with complex needs, Autistic Spectrum Condition, multi-sensory needs, Moderate and Severe Learning Difficulties, Complex and Profound and multiple learning disabilities.

Riverside School, Goole

Website: (external website)

The school supports pupils with severe learning difficulties, profound and multiple learning difficulties, complex needs, Autism Spectrum Condition, and medical and sensory impairments that present a barrier to their learning.

St Anne’s School and Sixth Form College, Brough

Website: (external website)

St Anne’s School and Sixth Form College is a day school with short break residential provision for 8–19 year-olds. The school supports pupils with moderate learning difficulties, severe learning difficulties, Autism Spectrum Condition, and profound and multiple needs. 

Independent Schools 

With an EHCP you have a right to request an Independent Specialist School to be named in Section I. An independent school can only be named in an EHCP with their agreement unless they are on the Section 41 list.  Please find a link to the Section 41 list of Department for Education approved Independent specialist schools:

GOV.UK - government/publications/independent-special-schools-and-colleges (external website)

Please also find links to special school lists within the UK. (external website) (external website)

Choosing a new school

A useful guide around choosing a new school with an EHCP and your rights can be found on the IPSEA website: (external website)

We always recommend visiting potential schools and settings to see if you think they are suitable.

When visiting schools, it is advisable to have a list of questions or prompts to help you to determine the suitability of the school. You may want to consider:

  • Does the school feel welcoming?
  • Are you given clear information about the school?
  • Did you have opportunity to speak with staff and pupils?
  • Is the building accessible for your child? Are there appropriate facilities for individual subjects or specific needs, such as a sensory room or a quiet area?

We advise you to ask similar questions at each setting so that you can compare the responses which will help you to filter out schools/rule schools in as possibilities. Examples of questions to ask could be:

  • What subjects will my child be able to study? Are there alternatives to GCSEs offered?
  • How is the school organised: age, ability, subject groups?
  • Is there a breakfast or after school club? Is there a homework club?
  • What extracurricular activities are on offer to pupils at your school?
  • Will my child have an appropriate peer group? (in terms of communication, interaction and ability)
  • What training have staff had to meet the needs of children at your school?
  • How would you communicate with me to let me know how my child is doing?
  • What are the class sizes?
  • How do your teaching staff differentiate work for their pupils?
  • What age do you take pupils until?

You may also want to consider other practical things such as the distance from your home to the school and how your child will manage with the journey.

Log On Move On

Website: (external website)

Log On Move on is an independent website which supports and inspires young people to succeed on their education and training journey.

Through providing expert information and online tools to:

  • enhance your understanding and increase your confidence to make informed decisions about your future
  • record your progress on your education and training journey, and prepare for adulthood
  • support you to learn more about yourself, your strengths, your skills, and your aspirations
  • develop your skills to boost your confidence and employability
  • explore your options and assist you to research all local education, training and employment opportunities
  • apply for your local education, training and employment choices.

Get in touch

If you can't find what you need, feel free to get in touch with us. Our opening hours are Monday-Thursday, 9am-5pm and on Fridays, 9am-4pm.

Outside of these hours, please use the Get in touch form. We aim to respond to all enquiries within 2 working days.