There are two types of home education that children and young people access. These are elective home education (EHE) and education otherwise than at school (EOTAS)

Elective Home Education (EHE)

Parents have the right to choose to home educate their child as long as they are able to provide a suitable and ‘efficient fulltime education’ (Education Act 1996, Section 7)

Without an EHC Plan:

You must write to head of the school and request your child is removed from the school roll. You as the parent are therefore taking responsibility for their education. The school will notify the Local Authority that the child is no longer on the school roll.

To return to a formalised school education, you will need to contact the school admissions team:

  • tel (01482) 392100
  • email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

With an EHCP:

To electively home educate (EHE) a child with an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) you must notify the head of the school, requesting that your child is taken off the school roll. You should also contact the Local Authority so that they can amend and update Section I of your child’s EHCP. If your child attends a specialist school, the Local Authority must also consent to the child’s withdrawal from the school setting. 

Elective Home Education guidance for Parents (April 2019) Section 4.3 states:
If your child attends a special school and this was arranged by a local authority, then the permission of the local authority must be obtained before his or her name can be removed from the admission register. 

Once it has been agreed that a child with an EHCP is to be home educated, the duty to secure the provision outlined in Section F is the responsibility of the parent. The Local Authority will continue to hold Annual Reviews of the EHCP (maintain the EHCP), updating Section F to be suitable should the child return to school. The plan will state that the duty to provide the provision outlined in Section F will be on the parent.

To return to a formalised school education, this will need to be done through an annual review. This can be called at any time. During the Annual Review the parent will request that consultations are to be sent for a placement. Parents may wish to look around some settings before the consultations are sent.

Please note: No parent should ever feel forced or pressured into removing their child from a school setting. If you feel as though there is pressure upon you, please contact SENDIASS.

Education otherwise than at a school (EOTAS)

A child is viewed as EOTAS where there is no appropriate school or setting for them to attend and they require an education package that is not delivered within a school.

Under EOTAS, the Local Authority is responsible for provision in Section F of an EHCP and must continue to secure this provision. This can be done in many forms including a bespoke tutor package, commissioned placements, or a therapeutic education alternative. It is important that Section F of the plan specifies the education package in place. 

EOTAS should be for a limited time and an outcome for EOTAS should be for the child to return to a formal school education as soon as possible. It is important that each case is considered on its own merit and the EOTAS package is based on professional advice and guidance. 

Children and Families Act (2014) Section 61 states:
A local authority may arrange for any special educational provision to be made otherwise than in a school. An authority may do so if satisfied that it would be inappropriate for the provision to be made in a school or at such a place. Before doing so, the authority must consult the child’s parent or the young person.

If you have any questions or would like further information regarding EHE or EOTAS, please contact SENDIASS or visit the website below.

Education Otherwise

Home Education Advisory Service


Get in touch

If you can't find what you need, feel free to get in touch with us. Our opening hours are Monday-Thursday, 9am-5pm and on Fridays, 9am-4pm.

Outside of these hours, please use the Get in touch form. We aim to respond to all enquiries within 2 working days.