About SEN

If your child has or is being assessed for an Education, Health and Care (EHC) or a social care plan, you can ask for a Personal Budget when the Local Authority issues a draft EHC plan or at a plan review.

Detailed information about personal budgets and direct payments are contained in Chapter 9 of the SEN and Disability Code of Practice. The law relating to direct payments and personal budgets is set out in the Special Educational Needs (Personal Budgets) Regulations 2014, as amended by the Special Educational Needs (Miscellaneous Amendments) Regulations 2014.

What is a Personal Budget?

The EHC plan will identify the specialist support and provision needed by your child. The local authority will decide how much money may be available as a Personal Budget.

The Personal Budget can allow you to use some of the allocated funding to provide some of the services and support your child needs as identified in the plan.

How much Money could I receive?

Personal Budgets will be allocated according to your child's needs and support plan and could be made up of funding from Health, Education and Children's Social Care.

In certain circumstances, the LA can refuse to identify a personal budget when the special educational provision is being provided as part of a larger budget and the LA can’t separate out or ‘disaggregate’ the personal budget from that overall larger budget.

What can a Personal Budget be used for?

A Personal Budget can only be used for the support identified and agreed in the EHC plan. 

Examples include:

  • specialist equipment 
  • specialist therapies (over and above the core contract the council already has in place with health services).
  • support workers in the home 
  • support to help a young person access social activities (personal care) 
  • short breaks (including nursing and personal care).

A personal budget can’t be used to pay for:

  • school staff 
  • school placements or overnight residential placements in special schools

How is a Personal Budget managed?

  1. Virtual budget - where the local authority, school or college hold the money and arrange the support. 
  2. Direct payments - where the parent/carer or young person (if over 18 and able to manage the payment) is given the money to contract, purchase and manage the support. The money is paid into a bank account opened solely for the direct payments. 
  3. A third party arrangement - where the funds are paid to a charity or other organisation which manages them on behalf of the parent/carer or young person. 
  4. A combination of the above

How you choose to manage your payments is your decision.

Young people aged over 16 years with an EHC or social care plan can also ask for a Personal Budget.

Personal Travel Budgets for home to school transport are coordinated separately. 

You can find out more by visiting the East Riding Local Offer website:

East Riding Local Offer - Personal travel-budgets (external council website)

If you have a Personal Budget and would like to speak with someone about it, please contact your named worker (e.g. Social Worker, EHC Officer).


Special Educational Needs and Disability Information Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS)

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Text only: 07507 310273

Tel: (01482) 396469 - option 2

National organisations that offer support


Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Web: https://contact.org.uk/

Tel: 0808 808 3555

Monday to Friday, 9:30am to 5pm.

Independent Parental Special Education Advice (IPSEA)

Web: ipsea.org.uk

Tel: 0800 018 4016

Monday to Thursday, 10am to 4pm and 7pm to 9pm

Friday, 1pm to 4pm.

Get in touch

If you can't find what you need, feel free to get in touch with us. Our opening hours are Monday-Thursday, 9am-5pm and on Fridays, 9am-4pm.

Outside of these hours, please use the Get in touch form. We aim to respond to all enquiries within 2 working days.